Panhead deal disclosed
Lion paid $15.1 million for Panhead, with another $10 million to be paid over the next four years if Panhead meets "certain performance targets" each year. The price was disclosed in Lion - Beer, Spirits & Wine (NZ) Ltd's financial statements, released by the Companies Office on Friday. Lion had previously paid $8 million for Emersons's in 2012. Lion managing director Rory Glass described Panhead as a "runaway train" last week - while Lion's overall sales increased 1% during the financial year, Panhead production grew 80%, Emerson's production grew 49% and Monteith's production grew 30% over the period.
Baylands Brewery Mangose and Melons (4%) - This kettle-soured ale brewed is with pink Himalayan sea salt, rock melon and mango. The smooth, subtle saltiness and refreshing acidity of this beer is lifted by the zesty flavours of mango and melon.
Sunshine Brewery Gizzy Haze East Coast Pale Ale (5.5%) - Unfiltered and filled with New Zealand and American hops. Available from Thursday at the Sunshine Brewery taproom.
Events this week
Tiamana Birthday Rebranding - 5pm Wednesday, One Fat Bird, 162 Karori Rd, Wellington. Tiamana Brewery will be celebrating their 2nd Birthday at the end of this month and they have taken this opportunity to unveil the new re-branding of their fantastic range here at One Fat Bird
Oabpstablfupdp - 5pm Wednesday, Lumsden Freehouse, 444 Khyber Pass Rd, Newmarket, Auckland. Outlying Auckland breweries present their strongest and weakest beers for your drinking pleasure
Super Afrodisiac Whisky Barrel Aged edition - 4pm Friday, Rogue & Vagabond, Garrett St, Wellington. We've got a sneaky little 20L keg of Barrel Aged Super Afro headed for The Rogue & Vagabond. This is our 8% vanilla and chocolate infused Imperial Stout, aged in Whisky barrels for 3 months giving it a pretty big oak and whisky character. There'll be some normal Super Afro too amongst others.
Events next week
Palmy Tasting Series Nordic by Nature & The Germanic Fantastic - Tuesday 28 February, Celtic Inn, Regent Arcade, Palmerston North. With a lineup of new beers from our favourite Viking brewers To Ol plus beer from the Germanic Fantastic, Freigeist & The Monarchy we're kicking our 2017 Palmerston North tasting series off with a bang. and because it's we skipped January we're super sizing this one with 9 beers
Vikings! Danish Beer Tasting - 6.30pm Wednesday 1 March, Vultures Lance, Vulcan Lane Auckland. Our 2017 Auckland Tasting Season kicks off on Wed March 1st, with a tasting of 6 brand spanking new beers out of Denmark's most gracious Vikings, To Øl. On tasting will be these six smashing beers, in no particular order:
- Brett & Butter Table Beer 3.5% - Blonde Ale fermented with Brettanomyaces and dry-hopped with Mosaic
- My Sour Pils 4.0% - Sour mash Pilsner with Mosaic and Amarillo hops.
- Sur Galaxy IPA 7.0% - Sour mash Black IPA bwith Galaxy hops.
- Surt Til Hibiscus & Cranberry 5.0% - Sour mashed Belgian Table Beer with Hibiscus, Cranberry and Mosaic hops.
- Shameless Santa Strong Dark Ale 10.0% - The beer Santa drinks when you think he's hard at work.
- Fuck Art...Winter's Coming! 8.0% - Belgian-style Tripel with Cardamom, Coriander and Orange Peel
Chow & Tipple - Cambridge Food, Beer & Wine Festival - Saturday 4 March, Cambridge Memorial Park, Victoria Street, Cambridge, Waikato.
Wellington Wine & Food Festival + Craft Beer - 10-11 March, Waitangi Park, Wellington. The Wellington Wine & Food Festival will return again on the 10th & 11th March 2017, back on the Wellington Waterfront
Kegkoura craft beer festival 2017 - Saturday 11 March, 140 Highway 1, Kaikoura. Come to Kaikoura and enjoy a relaxing afternoon at this fantastic venue with amazing views of the beautiful Kaikoura coastline. With an awesome selection of craft beers from around New Zealand, great food options and chilled music we hope this will be an event you will come back to year after year. Kaikoura is open for business, and we would love to see you here. There are plenty of accommodation options and other attractions open so why not make a weekend of it. Visit www.emporiumbrewing.co.nz/kegkoura-2017.html for more details.
Sourfest 2017 - 17-20 March, Malthouse, 48 Courtenay Place Wellington.
The Funky Weekend - 18-19 March, Funk Estate brewery, 3/402 Great North Rd. Grey Lynn, Auckland. We're having a couple of open days at the Funk Estate Brewery. Come along on both Saturday and Sunday to check out our space, and enjoy some sun(hopefully), beer and food. We'll even have a cheeky band kicking off in the early evenings. 1pm-late both days. See you at the Funky Weekend!
Nelson Beer Week - 18-26 March, various venues, Nelson and Tasman. Nelson Beer Week is a chance for you to explore beyond normal ‘beer experience boundaries’ and sample a wide range of craft beers and beer-matched cuisine not normally available.
- Epic Brewing - Hop Garden BBQ, Beers and Hop Tour - 12 noon 18 March, New Hoplands, Tapawera, 362 Tadmor Valley Rd, Tapawera 7096, New Zealand
- McCashins Brewery Kitchen & Bar – NBW Tastings and Food Specials - 12 noon, March 18, McCashins Brewery Kitchen and Bar, 660 Main Rd Stoke
- Eddyline Brewery: Walk the Eddyline – Brewery Tour - 1pm March 18, Eddyline Brewery & Pizzeria, 660 Main Rd, Stoke
- Craft Beer Depot – Beergasm: Special Beer Releases, Meet the Brewers and Jamaican Jerk BBQ - 3pm March 18, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- Harrys Bar/Cassels & Sons Tap Takeover - 4pm March 18, Harrys Bar, 296 Trafalgar St, Nelson
- The Vic Brew Bar: Blind Craft Beer Taste Competition - 5pm March 18, The Vic Brew Bar, 281 Trafalgar St, Nelson
- Liquid Bar – Special Menu and Beer Cocktails- 7pm March 18, Liquid Bar, 75 Bridge St, Nelson
- Eddyline Brewery – Beer Talks and Tastings - 2pm March 19, Eddyline Brewery, 8 Champion Rd, Richmond
- Founders Brewery Family Fun Day - 4.30 March 19, Founders Brewery, 87 Atawhai Dr, The Wood, Nelson
- Kereru Brewing/CBD: Cook Up and Meet Kereru Brewer - 5pm March 20, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- McCashins Brewery – Brewery Tour - 11am March 21, McCashins Brewery, 660 Main Rd, Stoke
- NZ Hops Tour - March 21, NZ Hops, 8 Blackbyre Rd, Best Island, Appleby
- Sprig & Fern Brewery Tour and Tastings - 11.30 March 21, Sprig and Fern Brewery, 53 Beach Rd, Richmond
- Craft Beer Depot: Craft Beer & Whiskey Match Tastings - March 21, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- Beer without Borders/CBD: Modern x Hops – Nelson to San Diego - 5pm March 22, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- McCashins Brewery Kitchen & Bar – Meat Lovers Heaven - 5pm March 22, McCashins Brewery Kitchen & Bar, 660 Main Rd, Stoke
- Freshchoice Richmond & Yeastie Boys: Tastings and Food Matching @ Oxford Street Kitchen - 7 pm March 22, Oxford Street Kitchen and Roastery, 20 Oxford St, Richmond
- Pecha Kucha – Nelson Beer Week Edition - 7.30 March 22, The Brewhouse/Boathouse, 326 Wakefield Quay, Nelson
- Freshchoice Richmond: American beer tastings in store - 4pm March 23, Freshchoice Richmond, 216 Queen St, Richmond
- The Free House: Meet the Brewer Townshend Brewing - 6pm March 23, The Free House, 95 Collingwood St, Nelson
- Craft Beer Depot: Churly Charcuterie - 7pm March 23, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- Freshchoice Richmond: Harringtons tastings in store - 3pm March 24, Freshchoice Richmond, 216 Queen St, Richmond
- Craft Beer Depot: Moa Vs Parrot Dog & Meet The Brewers - 4pm March 24, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- Nelson Beer Week Block Party – Cod and Lobster, Urban Eatery, Garage Project, Golden Bear - 4pm March 24, 1903 Square Nelson, Trafalgar St, Nelson
New Zealand Homebrewers Conference - 24-26 March, Founders Park, Nelson
MarchFest Nelson - Saturday 25 March, Founders Park, Nelson
Mountain Ales 2017 - Saturday 1 April, New Plymouth Sports Fishing Club, Ocean View Parade New Plymouth. The third installment of Mountain Ales brings you 10 breweries (almost all new to the festival) and more than 20 beers plus the usual great catering. Get in quick - this event sells out.
Craft Beer Fair - Saturday 1 April, Plimmerton School, Porirua. Due to popular demand and unprecedented success Plimmerton School are hosting another Craft Beer Fair!! 11 breweries and a homebrewing competition.
Fresh Hop NZ 2017 - Saturday 22 April, various venues, Auckland
GABS Auckland - 16-17 June, ASB Showgrounds, Auckland
Smiths NZIPA Competition - 22-24 June, Smiths Craft Beer House, Queenstown
A Mid-Winter's Ale Festival - Saturday 1 July, Rolleston Community Centre, Christchurch. Showcasing some exciting craft beers and delicious ciders from breweries around Canterbury and the North Island as well as a handpicked selections of beers from overseas. We also have an exciting line up of live entertainment throughout the afternoon plus some awesome food options to match with the amazing line up of beers and ciders. Ticket sales will be available from the 1st of March...
Beervana 2017 - 11-12 August, Westpac Stadium, Wellington
Head Brewer ( Crafty Bugger Required), Shakespeare Brewery, Auckland
We are after a Brewer with their head screwed on that has plenty of hands on experience and has proven brewery experience for a number of years showing confidence in producing tasty Beer consistently and without flaws.
Brewery Assistant, Cassels & Sons, Christchurch
Sales Manager, Cassels & Sons, Christchurch
Marketing & Events Coordinator, Good George Brewing, Hamilton
If travel, events, social media and parties are four of the things you'd tick on a list of job requirements, then we have the gig for you. As our full time marketing and events co-ordinator, your life will look like the "too-good-to-be-true" Instagram feed the rest of your peer group spends hours curating. Applications close 3 March.
Experienced Cellar Hand Brewery Worker, Wigram Brewing, Christchurch
Main tasks include assisting in the brewing and processing beer process, operating machinery for the packaging of beer (bottling lines), through to packaging the finished product ready for distribution. Daily cleaning of brewery and chiller.
Head brewer, Eagle Brewing, Christchurch
Eagle Brewing NZ is a growing micro brewery based in Christchurch Canterbury. We produce a wide range of beer styles and have recently started to delve into sour, aged and barrel aged beers. We are currently investigating opportunities for brewery expansion over the next few years to allow increased production to meet demand. We self distribute nationally in NZ; do most of our own sales work and have recently invested in a small packaging line onsite.
We are now looking for a head brewer with a minimum of 12 months experience in brewing commercially to join our small team and help us grow to the next level and beyond. The position is full time with overall responsibility for meeting current and future demands as our sales continue to grow.
Maintaining inventory of raw materials and finished product, continuous improvement of current range and development of new diverse beers is also part of the role. We envisage a long term position so NZ residency or citizenship is preferred with possible benefits being offered for long term commitment to being part of our future for the right person.
The brewery is very manual with little automation so the applicant must be physically fit and have no existing medical condition which will impede his or her ability to carry out their duties. Basic knowledge of brewery glycol systems, mechanical and electrical maintenance plus a current alcohol managers license is an advantage. A valid driving license for manual vehicles and an F classification is desired.