Sunshine Brewery Liberal Backlash (6%) - Gose with blueberries and Himalayan rock salt. Kettle soured with yogurt culture. Appearance – Pink and Hazy with a long lasting head. Aroma – Freshly foraged blueberries. Flavour – Tart berries and yogurt
Oskar Blues Dale’s Pale Ale (6.5%) - A voluminously hopped beer which delivers a hoppy nose and assertive-but-balanced flavours of pale malts and citrusy floral hops from start to finish. Dale’s Pale was America’s first craft-canned ale, and is a hearty, critically acclaimed trailblazer that changed the way craft beer fiends perceive portable.
Oskar Blues IPA (6.4%) - A Metamodern IPA conceived of hand selected hop varieties from down under. Malt barley and red wheat combine to create a clean malt backbone with fool proof flavour and mouthfeel. The hops have juicy and sweet aromas with headline notes of passion fruit, raspberries, pineapple and citrus.
Oskar Blues Mama’s Little Yella Pils (5.3%) - An uncompromising, small-batch version of the beer that made Pilsen, Czech Republic, famous. Unlike mass market‚ "pilsners‚" diluted with corn and rice, Mama's is built with 100% pale malt, German specialty malts, and Saaz hops.
Oskar Blues G’Knight Red IPA (8.7%) - A hefty, dry hopped double-red IPA with a nose full of aroma, a sticky mouthfeel, a malty middle and unctuous hop flavours. G’Knight sports a surprisingly sensuous finish for a beer of its size. The beer was brewed in tribute to a fellow Colorado craft beer pioneer and Vietnam vet who died fighting a 2002 wild fire outside of the brewery's hometown in Lyons, Colorado.
Oskar Blues Ten Fidy Imperial Stout (10.5%) - A titanic, immensely viscous stout loaded with inimitable flavours of chocolate, caramel and coffee. Ten Fidy is made with enormous amounts of two-row malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, flaked oats and hops, and is the ultimate celebration of dark malts and boundary-stretching beer.
Oskar Blues Barrel Aged Ten Fidy Imperial Stout (12.9%) - Aged through four seasons and from a blend of the top Bourbons around the States, the regular Ten Fidy release has morphed into a monster of cranked up flavour. Espresso, burnt sugar, rich chocolate, caramel notes are now driving alongside the vanilla, oak, bourbon from the barrel and been smoothed out during maturation.
Events this week
Weezledog Relaunch! - 3pm today, The Beer Spot, 54 Northcote Rd, Takapuna, Auckland. Come join us and our good mates at The Beer Spot for our relaunch party! Come for a few beers, and if you need to drive home or get home for dinner we will chip in a few bucks to make all riggers of our beers just $10!
Craftwork Good Lord Gold Tripel - 5pm today, Hashigo Zake, 25 Taranaki St, Wellington. Craftwork Brewery is a tiny brewery down in Oamaru, producing some of the best Belgian style ales in NZ on a 100L brewery. This tiny size means the majority of their beer is bottled to reach the widest audience possible. When we heard Good Lord Gold would be kegged for the first time, we jumped at the opporunity to grab it. In the Brewers' words This 9% "Tripel highlights organic pilsner and toffee malt, and balances Nelson’s organic noble hop varieties. We chose the classic Wallonian Trappist yeast to give full expression to aroma and flavour." We tap our only 20L keg of Good Lord at 5pm Tuesday
Palmy Tasting Series Nordic by Nature & The Germanic Fantastic - 7pm today, Celtic Inn, Regent Arcade, Palmerston North. With a lineup of new beers from our favourite Viking brewers To Ol plus beer from the Germanic Fantastic, Freigeist & The Monarchy we're kicking our 2017 Palmerston North tasting series off with a bang. and because it's we skipped January we're super sizing this one with 9 beers
Vikings! Danish Beer Tasting - 6.30pm tomorrow, Vultures Lance, Vulcan Lane Auckland. Our 2017 Auckland Tasting Season kicks off on Wed March 1st, with a tasting of 6 brand spanking new beers out of Denmark's most gracious Vikings, To Øl. On tasting will be these six smashing beers, in no particular order:
- Brett & Butter Table Beer 3.5% - Blonde Ale fermented with Brettanomyaces and dry-hopped with Mosaic
- My Sour Pils 4.0% - Sour mash Pilsner with Mosaic and Amarillo hops.
- Sur Galaxy IPA 7.0% - Sour mash Black IPA bwith Galaxy hops.
- Surt Til Hibiscus & Cranberry 5.0% - Sour mashed Belgian Table Beer with Hibiscus, Cranberry and Mosaic hops.
- Shameless Santa Strong Dark Ale 10.0% - The beer Santa drinks when you think he's hard at work.
- Fuck Art...Winter's Coming! 8.0% - Belgian-style Tripel with Cardamom, Coriander and Orange Peel
Oskar Blues NZ Launch - Thursday, Brothers Beer, 90 Wellesley St West, Auckland. It's back on! Rescheduled and ready to roll. Our friends at Beer Without Borders are bringing in an exciting OG brewery from Colorado Oskar Blues Brewery. One of the pioneers in the industry, bringing awesome canned craft beer to the masses since 2002. We'll have a full range of cans coming in, plus four kegs.
Stonehammer IPA Relaunch - 4pm Friday, Lumsden Freehouse, 444 Khyber Pass, Newmarket, Auckland.
Oskar Blues Brewery Launch Party! - 5pm Friday, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson. Exclusive Nelson launch of Oscar Blues Brewery in New Zealand - Both Friday and Saturday. Live music and great BBQ food to match the spectacular beers on offer. Freshly imported - 6 beers on tap and full range of cans will be available.
Double Vision Presents: The Fantastic 4 Tap Takeover - Friday & Saturday, Basque Rooftop Bar, 8 Courtenay Pl, Wellington. We are super excited to announce the first ever Double Vision Brewing tap takeover, featuring two brand new brews, El Sanchez and Castaway, and two favourites of ours, Red Rascal and Expatriate! Come down, hang with the brewers and try some delicious new beer from the lads.
Chow & Tipple - Cambridge Food, Beer & Wine Festival - Saturday 4 March, Cambridge Memorial Park, Victoria Street, Cambridge, Waikato.
Oskar Blues (ColoRADo) instore tasting - noon Saturday 4 March, Regional Wines, Beers & Spirits, 15 Ellice St, Wellington. BWB will be setting up in store will the full range of Oskar Blues cans for you to come in and sample. Plus some beers on the FYO and a chance to take home an Oskar Blues Pint Glass for free.
Events next week
Wellington Wine & Food Festival + Craft Beer - 10-11 March, Waitangi Park, Wellington. The Wellington Wine & Food Festival will return again on the 10th & 11th March 2017, back on the Wellington Waterfront
One Fat Panhead BBQ Takeover - Saturday 11 March, One Fat Bird, 162 Karori Rd, Karori, Auckland. Our second BBQ of the year and who better than Wellingtons very own Panhead Custom Ales! Straight off the back of Panhead Supercharger taking out NZ Best Beer for the third year running Mike and the team will be here at The Bird having a few beers and some Panhead infused BBQ! Chuck in some Live Music and hopefully some decent weather and we are in for a cracking day of great Beer, Banter and some good times!!
Kegkoura craft beer festival 2017 - Saturday 11 March, 140 Highway 1, Kaikoura. Come to Kaikoura and enjoy a relaxing afternoon at this fantastic venue with amazing views of the beautiful Kaikoura coastline. With an awesome selection of craft beers from around New Zealand, great food options and chilled music we hope this will be an event you will come back to year after year. Kaikoura is open for business, and we would love to see you here. There are plenty of accommodation options and other attractions open so why not make a weekend of it. Visit www.emporiumbrewing.co.nz/kegkoura-2017.html for more details.
16 Tun & Sawmill - Locally Sourced - Wednesday 15 March, 16 Tun, 20 Jellicoe St, Auckland. Come down to 16TUN and get a chance to try 5 The Sawmill Brewery beers, including seasonal brews, paired with locally sourced cheese and smoked meats from the Matakana region.
Black Out at Volstead - 17 March, Volstead, 55 Riccarton Rd, Christchurch. You don't have to be a genius to drink good beer. This Saint Patrick's day we have a massive line up of local Stouts, Dunkels, Blacks IPA's and Porters. Beers from 8 Wired, Epic. Moa, Cassels, Eagle, Raindogs, Renaissance, Two Thumb, Emerson's, Tuatara, Emporium, Volstead, Horse Box & Wigram.
Sourfest 2017 - 17-20 March, Malthouse, 48 Courtenay Place Wellington.
The Funky Weekend - 18-19 March, Funk Estate brewery, 3/402 Great North Rd. Grey Lynn, Auckland. We're having a couple of open days at the Funk Estate Brewery. Come along on both Saturday and Sunday to check out our space, and enjoy some sun(hopefully), beer and food. We'll even have a cheeky band kicking off in the early evenings. 1pm-late both days. See you at the Funky Weekend!
Beer Appreciation Day - 12.30 18 March, Duart House, 51 Duart House, Havelock North, Hawke's Bay. Beer Appreciation Day is all about providing an opportunity to sample some great beers and ciders from some of New Zealand's (and the world's!) finest craft breweries. Tickets available here.
Nelson Beer Week - 18-26 March, various venues, Nelson and Tasman. Nelson Beer Week is a chance for you to explore beyond normal ‘beer experience boundaries’ and sample a wide range of craft beers and beer-matched cuisine not normally available.
- Epic Brewing - Hop Garden BBQ, Beers and Hop Tour - 12 noon 18 March, New Hoplands, Tapawera, 362 Tadmor Valley Rd, Tapawera 7096, New Zealand
- McCashins Brewery Kitchen & Bar – NBW Tastings and Food Specials - 12 noon, March 18, McCashins Brewery Kitchen and Bar, 660 Main Rd Stoke
- Eddyline Brewery: Walk the Eddyline – Brewery Tour - 1pm March 18, Eddyline Brewery & Pizzeria, 660 Main Rd, Stoke
- Craft Beer Depot – Beergasm: Special Beer Releases, Meet the Brewers and Jamaican Jerk BBQ - 3pm March 18, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- Harrys Bar/Cassels & Sons Tap Takeover - 4pm March 18, Harrys Bar, 296 Trafalgar St, Nelson
- The Vic Brew Bar: Blind Craft Beer Taste Competition - 5pm March 18, The Vic Brew Bar, 281 Trafalgar St, Nelson
- Liquid Bar – Special Menu and Beer Cocktails- 7pm March 18, Liquid Bar, 75 Bridge St, Nelson
- Eddyline Brewery – Beer Talks and Tastings - 2pm March 19, Eddyline Brewery, 8 Champion Rd, Richmond
- Founders Brewery Family Fun Day - 4.30 March 19, Founders Brewery, 87 Atawhai Dr, The Wood, Nelson
- Kereru Brewing/CBD: Cook Up and Meet Kereru Brewer - 5pm March 20, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- McCashins Brewery – Brewery Tour - 11am March 21, McCashins Brewery, 660 Main Rd, Stoke
- NZ Hops Tour - March 21, NZ Hops, 8 Blackbyre Rd, Best Island, Appleby
- Sprig & Fern Brewery Tour and Tastings - 11.30 March 21, Sprig and Fern Brewery, 53 Beach Rd, Richmond
- Craft Beer Depot: Craft Beer & Whiskey Match Tastings - March 21, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- Beer without Borders/CBD: Modern x Hops – Nelson to San Diego - 5pm March 22, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- McCashins Brewery Kitchen & Bar – Meat Lovers Heaven - 5pm March 22, McCashins Brewery Kitchen & Bar, 660 Main Rd, Stoke
- Freshchoice Richmond & Yeastie Boys: Tastings and Food Matching @ Oxford Street Kitchen - 7 pm March 22, Oxford Street Kitchen and Roastery, 20 Oxford St, Richmond
- Pecha Kucha – Nelson Beer Week Edition - 7.30 March 22, The Brewhouse/Boathouse, 326 Wakefield Quay, Nelson
- Freshchoice Richmond: American beer tastings in store - 4pm March 23, Freshchoice Richmond, 216 Queen St, Richmond
- The Free House: Meet the Brewer Townshend Brewing - 6pm March 23, The Free House, 95 Collingwood St, Nelson
- Craft Beer Depot: Churly Charcuterie - 7pm March 23, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- Freshchoice Richmond: Harringtons tastings in store - 3pm March 24, Freshchoice Richmond, 216 Queen St, Richmond
- Craft Beer Depot: Moa Vs Parrot Dog & Meet The Brewers - 4pm March 24, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- Nelson Beer Week Block Party – Cod and Lobster, Urban Eatery, Garage Project, Golden Bear - 4pm March 24, 1903 Square Nelson, Trafalgar St, Nelson
New Zealand Homebrewers Conference - 24-26 March, Founders Park, Nelson
MarchFest Nelson - Saturday 25 March, Founders Park, Nelson
Mountain Ales 2017 - Saturday 1 April, New Plymouth Sports Fishing Club, Ocean View Parade New Plymouth. The third installment of Mountain Ales brings you 10 breweries (almost all new to the festival) and more than 20 beers plus the usual great catering. Get in quick - this event sells out.
Hop'n'Vine Craft Beer Festival - Saturday 1 April, Scottish Hall, Invercargill. Some of New Zealand’s top craft breweries will be at Hop’n’Vine including Tuatara, Garage Project, EPIC, Liberty, Behemoth, 8 Wired, South Paw, Ground Up and, of course, Invercargill Brewery. Several other guest breweries, Central Otago wines and Zeffer Cider will also feature. Includes a home brew competition and a guest DJ from Auckland.
Craft Beer Fair - Saturday 1 April, Plimmerton School, Porirua. Due to popular demand and unprecedented success Plimmerton School are hosting another Craft Beer Fair!! 11 breweries and a homebrewing competition.
Fresh Hop NZ 2017 - Saturday 22 April, various venues, Auckland
GABS Auckland - 16-17 June, ASB Showgrounds, Auckland
Smiths NZIPA Competition - 22-24 June, Smiths Craft Beer House, Queenstown
A Mid-Winter's Ale Festival - Saturday 1 July, Rolleston Community Centre, Christchurch. Showcasing some exciting craft beers and delicious ciders from breweries around Canterbury and the North Island as well as a handpicked selections of beers from overseas. We also have an exciting line up of live entertainment throughout the afternoon plus some awesome food options to match with the amazing line up of beers and ciders. Ticket sales will be available from the 1st of March...
Beervana 2017 - 11-12 August, Westpac Stadium, Wellington
Brewers Guild Conference & Trade Show - Friday 6 October, Christchurch
Brewers Guild Gala Dinner (aka BGONZA Night) - Saturday 7 October, Christchurch
Brew Master, McCashins Brewery, Nelson
Head Brewer, Tuatara, Kapiti
Brewery Assistant, Cassels & Sons, Christchurch
Sales Manager, Cassels & Sons, Christchurch
Marketing & Events Coordinator, Good George Brewing, Hamilton
If travel, events, social media and parties are four of the things you'd tick on a list of job requirements, then we have the gig for you. As our full time marketing and events co-ordinator, your life will look like the "too-good-to-be-true" Instagram feed the rest of your peer group spends hours curating. Applications close 3 March.
Head brewer, Eagle Brewing, Christchurch
Eagle Brewing NZ is a growing micro brewery based in Christchurch Canterbury. We produce a wide range of beer styles and have recently started to delve into sour, aged and barrel aged beers. We are currently investigating opportunities for brewery expansion over the next few years to allow increased production to meet demand. We self distribute nationally in NZ; do most of our own sales work and have recently invested in a small packaging line onsite.
We are now looking for a head brewer with a minimum of 12 months experience in brewing commercially to join our small team and help us grow to the next level and beyond. The position is full time with overall responsibility for meeting current and future demands as our sales continue to grow.
Maintaining inventory of raw materials and finished product, continuous improvement of current range and development of new diverse beers is also part of the role. We envisage a long term position so NZ residency or citizenship is preferred with possible benefits being offered for long term commitment to being part of our future for the right person.
The brewery is very manual with little automation so the applicant must be physically fit and have no existing medical condition which will impede his or her ability to carry out their duties. Basic knowledge of brewery glycol systems, mechanical and electrical maintenance plus a current alcohol managers license is an advantage. A valid driving license for manual vehicles and an F classification is desired.