Baylands Denali Danger Zone APA (6%) - A bold and punchy pale ale with American Denali and Amarillo hops. Flavours of pineapple, tangerine, tropical stone fruits with a hint of spice and a crisp dry bitterness.
B.Effect Wanaka Lager (4.43%) - The Vienna malt brings out an amber colour in this Lager. It also provides a firm base and contributes a malty sweetness. Pacifica hops provide bitterness to balance, and a hint of noble aromas. Refreshing, crisp and simple, Vienna malt, and a touch of Pacifica.
Black Dog Brewtus Bolivian Coffee Stout (Havana Coffee Collaboration) (5.9%) - A cross-bred brew, courtesy of a collaboration between Black Dog Brewery and Havana CoffeeWorks. This is far from the runt of the litter; this is a brute of a beer with a sophisticated side. A rich and silky stout, dry-hopped with a hefty bag of crushed coffee beans straight from Bolivia and a good dose of Cascade hops to add some extra growl. Best enjoyed with hearty stew or a slab of chocolate cake.
Jabberwocky Ruby Island Red IPA - Rich malt flavour and a Ruby complexion are extracted from specially malted barley and then smacked with an island full of hops to create a real stunner. This IPA is best enjoyed while taking in the 360 degree views on Ruby island in lake Wanaka
Sawmill Brewery Chocolate Stout (5.6%) - A velvety milk stout, brewed with oats, organic cocoa powder and cocoa nibs with aroma and taste of earthy cocoa and dark berryfruit leading into a creamy, sweet finish balanced with a touch of bitterness.
Stone & Wood Cloud Catcher (5.5%) - This full flavoured ale, hopped with all Australian Galaxy and Ella, has an aroma of apricots and grapefruit, a full bodied mouth feel from the blend of pale and crystal malts and finishes with a dry clean bitterness.
Stone & Wood Stone Beer 2017 (6.5%) - Brewed for when the days are short and the nights are cold, our winter seasonal honours the ancient techniques of brewing. By adding wood fired stones to the kettle to rouse the boil, the malt characters are intensified. Dark and robust, our 2017 Stone Beer uses six malts, giving it a roasted caramel aroma that’s balanced with a warming, full bodied cocoa flavour.
Events this week
Double NRT: Beg Borrow & Brew - 5pm today, Hashigo Zake, 25 Taranaki St Wellington. Next Tuesday 2 new beers from Beg Borrow & Brew will be taking over our handpull taps.
Tiamana & Wild & Woolly (FINAL) Tap Takeover - Thursday 15 June, Basque, 8 Courtenay Pl, Wellington. We are very happy (and sad) to announce that we will be hosting the final ever Wild & Woolly tap takeover as Llew plans to go overseas. After they move on from their brewery, Tiamana will be working as a contract brewer so we will be celebrating all things Wild & Woolly and Tiamana!
Festival of Dark Beers - 16-18 June, Twisted Hop, 616 Ferry Rd, Christchurch. This is our popular annual tap takeover of dark beers to coincide with the winter solstice. It is a fantastic opportunity to sample up to 30 delicious dark craft beers under one roof over 3 days.
Auckland Beer Week
Auckland Beer Week - 10-18 June, various venues, Auckland. See website for info and full listing of events. Here's some examples to get you excited:
- Beer Without Borders Greatest Hits – 7pm today, Brothers Beer, City Works Depot, Auckland. Beer Without Borders has now reached 7 years experience in importing some of the finest beers from the USA and around the world, and to celebrate during Auckland Beer Week, they've put together a bunch of their favourite beers to taste along with you at Brothers Beer. Come along and find out what beers they reach for first! Price - $40 available over the bar or fromwww.BrothersBeer.co.nz
- Stone & Wood Stone Beer Launch - 4pm Wednesday, Brewers Co-op, 128 Victoria St West, Auckland. Join us on Wednesday evening for this years release of Stone & Wood Brewing's Stone Beer. Stone Beer uses the ancient technique of adding wood fired stones to the kettle to rouse the boil. This winter seasonal is dark and robust. The 2017 Stone Beer uses six malts, giving it a roasted caramel aroma that’s balanced with a warming, full bodied flavour.
- Barrel Aged Beer Masterclass – 7pm Wednesday, Lovebucket, 309 K Road, Auckland. K Road's Lovebucket have teamed up with Beer Without Borders to take a look at some of the best barrel aged beers available in New Zealand, and discuss what about barrel ageing beers makes them so special. This guided tasting includes beers aged in 6 different types of barrel, and the beers come from the following breweries: Almanac (USA), Coronado (USA), Moon Dog (Aus), Mikkeller (Denmark), Brouwerij De Molen (Holland) and Gigantic Brewing (USA).Price - $35 available over the bar or fromwww.CultBeerStore.co.nz
- Stone and Wood Showcase - Orakei - Brothers Beer, 232 Orakei Rd, Auckland. Aussie legends Stone and Wood are in town for Auckland Beer Week and will be launching their new seasonal release at Brothers Orakei!
- Dark Beer and Oysters v2.0 – noon Thursday, Lumsden Freehouse, Newmarket, Auckland. After last years sell out early in the evening, The Lumsden and Beer Without Borders team up again to bring you the best food and drink match known to humanity - Dark Beer and Oysters! On tap will be a selection of dark malt driven magic, and oysters available by the 1/2 or full dozen. Get in early because those heroes in a half shell will sell out quickly!
- Epic Whiskey Tasting - 6.30 Thursday, Brewers Co-op, 128 Victoria St West, Auckland. Come join us for an Epic Beer and Whiskey pairing, hosted by Luke from Epic and Sam from The House of Whiskey. We have matched 5 Epic Beers to 5 whiskeys from around the world. There are only 40 seats available, so be sure to get your tickets early. Tickets are $69 and are only available from The Brewers Co-Operative, on a first come, first served basis.
- Laughed for Craft, Stand Up Comedy and Craft Beer Night – 7pm Thursday, Glengarry Victoria Park, 118 Wellesley Street, Auckland. Shaking things up for Beer Week, Glengarry Wines and Garage Project are trying something a little different. We've matched beer with food, even with wine and whiskey- but jokes? Garage Project are always testing new material, plus you'll get the best gear from each of our established local comedians. In the wake of their Comedy Fest shows and before Garage Project hits Auckland GABS, it's a marriage between festivals. You may not be spittooning like a wine snob, just try not to spray beer from your nose while some of Auckland's funniest young comedians do their thing.
- The Pirates Are Coming! - Thursday, Uptown Freehouse, 224 Symonds Street, Auckland. Ahoy me hearties! Come join the Pirate Party with a 5 tap takeover from Australia's best brewery, 4 of these beers are in the GABS hottest top 20. Definitely one for the Hop heads we'll be pouring Throwback Session IPA, Hopco NZ Pale, Pale Ale, IPA, IIPA on tap accompanied by Caribbean provisions, palm trees and Pirate flags. A guest appearance by the brewers themselves
- GABS Auckland - 16 & 17 June, ASB Showgrounds, Auckland
Events next week
NRT North End Visitation Belgian Quad - 5pm Tuesday, Hashigo Zake, 25 Taranaki St Wellington. Next week's NRT is a new brew from North End Brewing! Come down on the 20th to try their Visitation Belgian Quad. We expect strong, rich and fruity tasting notes with dark sugar and dried fruit aromas.
Imperial Oyster Stout Release - 5.30 Wednesday 21 June, Whet Drinking Room, 151 Cambridge Tce, Christchurch. Join us frm 5:30pm till 7:30pm at WHET Drinking Room for the release of this limited edition Cryermalt x Three Boys Brewery Brewers Reserve Imperial Oyster Stout! Double Oysters, Double Malt, Double Hops Double Trouble - 12% ABV
The Russians are coming! - 3pm 21 June, the Beer Spot, 54 Northcote Road, Takapuna, Auckland.
5 Years of Gunnamatta - 21 June, Volstead, 55 Riccarton Road, Christchurch. This year Yeastie Boys celebrate 5 years of Gunnamatta. And to help we have five amazing beers on tap - Royal Tannin Bomb - Big Mouth - Pullyu - Pot Kettle Black - Gunnamatta
Smiths NZIPA Competition - 22-24 June, Smiths Craft Beer House, Queenstown. It's back! The second annual Smiths New Zealand India Pale Ale Competition. 20 + of the countries best and brightest stars come back to Queenstown to showcase their one of kind all New Zealand Hopped IPA. The event starts on Thursday the 22nd, we'll open the doors at noon with all 22 beers on tap ready go. The party only starts there. Winner announced Sunday.
Darkest Days - Friday 23 June, Malthouse, 48 Courtenay Place, Wellington. The time of the year has rolled around again - it's getting colder and darker.... And so are the beers.
Beer & BBQ- Sawmill Brewery and Fireworks Smokehouse - 7pm 28th June, Glengarry Victoria Park, 118 Wellesley Street, Auckland. Ain't nothin' like beer and BBQ! We'll have Sawmill running us through a stunning range of their beers, and Fireworks Smokehouse providing the smoked meaty goodness. This will be one to get booked in early as limited tickets are available. Y'all best be fierce quick!
Beer Baroness Beer Dinner - 29 June, Pomeroys, Killmore Street, Christchurch. Get in early for this one folks! Beer Baroness Degustation Dinner. Delicious beers paired with mouth watering dishes served frrom Victoria's Kitchen here at Pomeroy's Old Brewery Inn. Very Limited tickets available. $100 per person and available from the bar now!
Croucher Brewing Relaunch - 30 June, Brothers Beer, 90 Wellesley St West, Auckland. Croucher Brewing have been making good beer for ages, now they're rebranding and bringing out some of their best in brand new bottles.Come down on the 30th to Brothers CWD and Orakei to check out the new designs!We'll have the new bottles of Patriot, ANZUS, Pale, Pilsner and Lowrider in stock plus a few choice kegs on tap.
A Mid-Winter's Ale Festival - Saturday 1 July, Rolleston Community Centre, Christchurch. Showcasing some exciting craft beers and delicious ciders from breweries around Canterbury and the North Island as well as a handpicked selections of beers from overseas. We also have an exciting line up of live entertainment throughout the afternoon plus some awesome food options to match with the amazing line up of beers and ciders. Ticket sales will be available from the 1st of March...
Winter Ales Festival - 22 July, Hunter Lounge, Wellington. We have had an awesome response from local breweries and distributors. We have over 30 beers on the list and it's still growing! Book your tickets here
West Coast IPA Challenge 2017 - 28 July, Malthouse, 48 Courtenay Palce, Wellington
Beervana 2017 - 11-12 August, Westpac Stadium, Wellington
Brewers Guild Conference & Trade Show - Friday 6 October, Christchurch
Brewers Guild Gala Dinner (aka BGONZA Night) - Saturday 7 October, Christchurch
2017 Dunedin Craft Beer & Food Festival - 11 November, Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin. We’re turning five! And you’re invited to come and help us celebrate… Saturday 11th of November we'll be turning on some good old southern charm and welcoming you back for another round of goodtimes. Every year we strive to bring you a bigger, broader and bolshier range of goodies, and this year will be even more special being our fifth birthday. This is the ultimate friends-family-fiends day out - lock it into your calendars.
Delivery Driver, Beertique, Auckland
Beertique is seeking a self-motivated, reliable, energetic Delivery Driver / Warehouse Storeperson to join our small, busy and friendly team. The position will be based in our new Onehunga Warehouse and we are looking for someone who can work full time Monday – Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm. Applications close 21 June.
Sales Professional, McLeod’s Brewery, Waipu, Northland
We are looking for a person to join our team and help us expand our sales and distribution nationwide, with immediate focus on supporting our current customer base and finding new customers.
Credentials: The ideal candidate will possess some if not all of the following:
- A positive out look
- Keen interest in beer
- Basic knowledge about beer (i.e. how it is made and what signifies a quality product)
- 2-3 years hospitality experience or a beverage sales background
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Maintains professional appearance
- Own or lease your own vehicle
- Experience working with Xero
- A willingness to learn and be part of a small team
Job Role includes:
- Work to become head of sales and distribution and our future sales team
- Maintain our current customer base and work with our media person to promote brand awareness
- Take and process orders
- Make occasional deliveries
- Expand our current customer base
- Work with our South Island distributor in expanding South Island sales
- Represent McLeod’s at tap events, as needed and time allows
- Work trade shows and events
- Organise and attend in-store demonstrations
- Some travel
- Report to owners
Compensation is dependent upon experience.
Brewery Assistant, McLeod’s Brewery, Waipu, Northland
No experience necessary, as we’ll teach you the ropes, but the ideal candidate needs a positive 'can do' attitude and an excellent work ethic (i.e. show up to work on time, every day rostered, ready to work).
If you intend to work in our brewery to gain experience and open your own brewery, don't bother applying. We are currently not set up as a training facility. We do, however, want a person who doesn’t mind a job that won’t pay the big bucks (but has potential) in a low-pressure environment. We’re looking for someone who takes instruction well, doesn’t mind cleaning obsessively, is passionate about organisation and attention-to-detail and wants to work with a small team in a small village in Northland NZ. This role includes being part of one of NZ's most exciting up-and-coming breweries. You’ll get a wage, exposure to travel, beer events, beer training, all things beer, as well as lots of free beer and pizza. Kitchen experience a plus.
Job Role includes:
- Brewing process
- General cleaning
- Cleaning kegs
- Cleaning tanks
- Cleaning floors
- Working on the production line during bottling
- Filling kegs
- Picking and fulfilling orders
- Monitoring inventory levels
- Working and attending festivals
- Driving a forklift
You must be:
- Able to lift heavy objects 65kg and under safely
- Physically fit
- Enjoy working outdoors
- Able to legally work in NZ
- Free from addictions to drugs or alcohol