ParrotDog Falcon APA (5.4%) - Falcons stalk the skies, commanding their territory with focus and intensity; a totem for this American Pale Ale. Our interpretation of the style takes modern U.S. hop flavours of citrus and tropical fruit and lets them sour on a light and nimble body.
Good George Black Lager (5%) - Look: Black with a hint of ruby. Smell: Spicy, herbal, floral, zesty, chocolate & coffee. Taste: Flavours of spice, herbs & citrus, hints of chocolate & toasted caramel. Ahh, German. Such a beautiful language. Our seasonal Black Lager is a schwarzbier, pronounced Shfarts-beer, with that final ‘R’ hoiked out of your throat like you swallowed a fly while riding a bicycle. Fortunately, it’s easier to drink than it is to say, the perfect liquid comfort food for a cosy night on the couch with your lebensgefahrtin. That means girlfriend. Like we said, it’s a beautiful language.
Kaiser Brothers Pilsener (5%) - This beer is a tasty, German style Pilsener. A light to medium bodied beer, golden in colour with medium head and gentle sparkle. Citrus aromas of grapefruit, tangerine and lemon rind. Aromas follow through onto the palate with a nice punchy, hoppy bitterness and good malt that carries it through to a long crisp, dry finish. 30 IBU.
Kaiser Brothers American Pale Ale (5.5%, 51 IBU) - Characterized by floral, fruity, citrus-like, piney, producing medium to medium-high hop bitterness, flavour and aroma. This beer has medium body and low to medium maltiness with low caramel malt character.
Kaiser Brothers English Special Bitter (5%, 58 IBU) - ESB stands for “English Special Bitter”, or traditionally, “Extra Special Bitter”. This rich, full bodied bitter shows great balance with nice interplay between malt and hop bitterness. It displays earthy, herbal hop characters, with a medium to high bitterness.
Kaiser Brothers Limited release Weizen (5%, 13 IBU) - This German-style “hefeweizen” is straw to amber in colour and made predominantly with malted wheat. The aroma and flavour of this beer is decidedly fruity (banana) with hints of cloves.
Events this week
The Road to Beervana continues
- Malt 101 - 7.30 today, Christchurch Casino, 30 Victoria St, Christchurch. Malt 101 is a relaxed engaging information session with a grain to glass concept delivered by Gabi & Doug Michael from Gladfield Malt and Clayton Wallwork from Two Thumb Brewing Co. Gain insight into the malting process and how it continues its journey to your glass. Gabi & Doug will talk through five types of malts with one of these being showcased in a brew that will be presented by local brewer Clayton Wallwork.
- Northern Road Trip - tomorrow from 11, Brew Union, 41 Broadway Ave, Palmerston North. Come down to Brew Union and meet some of the brewers from the top of the North Island on their way to Beervana.
- Brooklyn Brewery Beer & Cheese Tasting Night - 6.30 tomorrow 8 August, Malthouse, 48 Courtenay Pl, Wellington. Enjoy an evening of beer and cheese pairings hosted by The Brooklyn Brewery and Le Marche Wellington! The session will present four rare beers from Brooklyn Brewery - two of which are limited release - paired with five different cheeses, and each interval between servings will be broken up with a Brooklyn Lager palate cleanser.
- Wild, Fork & Watercress - Burning Sky & Māori Kai - 2pm Wednesday, Fork & Brewer, Bond St, Wellington. We're dishing up wild beers and wild food - join us for a drink up and boil up for Road to Beervana! Try UK brewery, Burning Sky Brewery's finest wild ales alongside some complimentary (and complementary!) Kiwi kai. We're showcasing some very special beers in a tap takeover from Burning Sky, named 4th Best Brewery in the World in 2014. (Head brewer, Mark Tranter, was also voted UK Brewer of the Year that same year!). We'll also have a special brew collab with Burning Sky and our very own Kelly Ryan (Fork Brewing) on tap! And put your wallets away - the boil up is on us! Any Burning Sky beer on tap comes with a complementary side of classic Māori boil up!
- Road to Beervana - British Tap Takeover - 5pm Wednesday, One Fat Bird, 162 Karori Rd, Wellington
- The Second East Coast IPA Challenge - 9-10 August, Hop Garden, Just behind the KFC, Pirie St, Wellington.
- Tiamana's Beer Fest - 9-10 August, Field & Green, 262 Wakefield St, Wellington. Actung! Shlep on down to Field & Green for some über nosh & wunderbar bier, German-style. Showcasing Tiamana's beers paired with classic Berlin dishes currywurst, Königsberger Klopse and Rote Grütze. Prost!
- Four Horsemen of the Hopocalypse Tap Takeover - 9-10 August, Malthouse, 48 Courtenay Pl, Wellington.
- Good George's Taste of Hamilton - 4.30 Saturday 12 August, Malthouse, 48 Courtenay Pl, Wellington.
Beervana 2017 - 11-12 August, Westpac Stadium, Wellington
Events next week
Cans & Curry - 6pm 15 August, Satya South Indian Cafe, 271 K Rd, Auckland. The team from North End Brewing are coming to Auckland and bringing a bag of cans with them for a Curry and Beer Party with the legends at Satya Chai Lounge on K Rd! Head Brewer Kieran Haslett-Moore will be in the house, and he'll be showing off his new beers Visitation Belgian Quad and Table de Brasseur Belgian Style Table Beer, alongside other returning favourites. All beers will be matched to one of Satya's modern South Indian tapas dishes.
The Doctor will see you now - 4pm 17 August, Lumsden Freehouse, 444 Khyber Pass, Auckland. California's finest Lagunitas Brewing Co in the house with the legendary Dr Pat Mace on site to answer all your burning questions.
8 Wired Barrel Aged Beers: August Glengarry Craft Club - 7pm 31 August, Glengarry Victoria Park, 118 Wellesley St, Auckland. 8 Wired recently acquired seven "foedres" (massive oak barrels) allowing them to take their barrel aged and sour beer production up a few notches. We're tasting our way through some of the fine barrel aged beers they've crafted, matched with fine cheese and antipasto deliciousness. It's just a little bit sophisticated, but you can leave your black tie at home, just come ready to enjoy the finer side of beer. Get booking, so you can get tasting!
Brewers Guild Conference & Trade Show - Friday 6 October, Christchurch
Brewers Guild Gala Dinner (aka BGONZA Night) - Saturday 7 October, Christchurch
City of Ales - Saturday 14 October, Maritime Room, Quay Street, Auckland
2017 Dunedin Craft Beer & Food Festival - 11 November, Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin. We’re turning five! And you’re invited to come and help us celebrate… Saturday 11th of November we'll be turning on some good old southern charm and welcoming you back for another round of goodtimes. Every year we strive to bring you a bigger, broader and bolshier range of goodies, and this year will be even more special being our fifth birthday. This is the ultimate friends-family-fiends day out - lock it into your calendars.
South Island Beer Festival #11 - 25 November, 87 Ilams Rd, Christchurch. There'll be all the usual things you've come to expect: a variety of great beer from around the island, a selection of awesome food vendors to keep you fed, and a laid-back atmosphere in the Ilam Homestead and surrounding gardens.
Wellington Winter Ales Festival - 2pm Saturday 2 June, Hunter Lounge, Wellington