Zeffer crowdfunding campaign sells out within days
Zeffer Ciders' crowdfunding campaign was fully-subscribed over the weekend, raising $1.2 million. The Snowball Effect campaign attracted 260 pledgers for an average investment of $4615 each. The minimum investment was $1000. Zeffer plans to use the cash injection to move production to Hawke's Bay, buy new tanks, increase domestic sales above its current 1-2% share, and develop markets in Thailand and China.
Harrington's and Cryer Malt raise funds for City Mission
To celebrate a combined half-century as leaders in New Zealand craft brewing, Harrington's Breweries and Cryer Malt collaborated to produce Old Spice spiced ale last year. The brew celebrates each business's 25th Anniversary, and a proportion of all sales will be donated to City Mission. Old Spice is named after the famous aftershave, rumoured to be a key factor in brewer/hotelier John Harrington's famous success with the ladies (he's now taken). The beer itself is brewed using all Cryer malts, with mixed fruit soaked in brandy, mandarins and some lemons to the kettle, finished with allspice and cinnamon in the fermenter. "Old Spice was redeveloped from a recipe brewed 10-12 years ago called Yuletide. This is a smooth drinking spiced ale with a good malt backing." Old Spice is available right now in 500mL bottles, RRP $7.99.
McLeod's Drought Breaker Kölsch with golden kiwi fruit (4.9%) - A Kölsch-style conditioned with kiwifruit, it pours a hazy off-gold with pear, kiwifruit and a hint of evergreen up front. Refreshing with a tart finish and layers of fruity complexity with a soft balanced bitterness.
McLeod's Indian Summer Belgian DIPA (9%) - Golden orange with lacy carbonation. Huge hop-driven aromas of dried tangerine, vanilla & lemon, it's smooth with oily hops and spice on the palate and a body that's silky smooth and finishes dry. Dangerously drinkable!
Almanac Grand Cru Red (10.5%, 2016 Vintage) - Grand Cru Red blends a Flanders Red-style sour ale with California Zinfandel wine grapes, locally grown raspberries and whole vanilla beans to craft something truly unique. We combined the Zinfandel grapes with a special imperial version of our oak-aged Dogpatch Sour ale and finished it with Santa Cruz Mountain raspberries and fragrant vanilla beans in an ex-red wine oak barrel.
Almanac Grand Cru White (10.6%, 2016 Vintage) - Grand Cru White is an ode to our favourite aromatic white wines. We combined California Muscat Blanc grapes with an imperial version of our Farmer’s Reserve sour blonde base and fresh, locally-grown apricots before aging them for over a year in ex-white wine French oak barrels.
Almanac Farmer’s Reserve Raspberry Sour Ale (6.8%) - Our version of a Framboise draws inspiration from the farmland in the Santa Cruz mountains, where windswept hills have warm days and cool nights that result in tight, red berries with complex flavours and a ruby red-colour. Combined with our sour blonde ale, the final blend highlights huge fruit flavour and the bounty of Coastal California.
Almanac Farmer’s Reserve Blackberry Sour Ale (7%) - Tart, sweet and complex but guarded by thorny branches, blackberries are an alluring fruit that have been a favourite of ours since we added them to our very first beer. This sour blonde ale is infused with loads of coastal Blackberries from California’s Santa Cruz Mountains and aged in wine barrels until our wild yeasts worked their magic.
Almanac Farmer’s Reserve Nectarine Sour Ale (7%) - Is there any pairing more perfect than sour beer and stone fruit? We start with the very best yellow nectarines grown in California, picked at peak ripeness, before adding them to a sour base beer, combining the funky flavours of Brett with a bright acidity to highlight the fruit. The result is a golden hued beer with fruit aromatics jumping off the glass, the last of summer captured in a bottle.
Almanac Mandarina Farmhouse Ale (4.3%) - Mandarina’s tart and citrusy profile makes it the perfect beer for warm, sunny days. The combination of crisp tartness, tangerines and the citrus aromas of Mandarina Bavaria and Citra hops puts this farmhouse ale’s fruity aroma over the top.
Modern Times City of the Sun IPA (7.5%) - A big, fruity, pungent, sticky, delicious IPA. Mosaic & Motueka give the beer a very fruity hop character, with Simcoe providing enough of a piney backbone to prevent it from going off the deep end. The complex but unobtrusive malt character gives it a medium body and a platform for the saturated hop flavour.
Modern Times Mega Fortunate Islands IPA (8%) - A big brother to MT’s core range release Fortunate Islands'. This imperialised version is packed full with even more Citra and Amarillo hops, to deliver a tropical fruit bomb with flavours of fresh mango and tangerine, plus a 90 IBU hit to your palate.
Events this week
McLeod's Indian Summer BDIPA & Drought Breaker Kolsch-style - 3pm Thursday, The Beer Spot, 54 Northcote Rd, Takapuna, Auckland. McLeod's is pleased to share two new seasonal brews - Indian Summer Belgian-style DIPA and Drought Breaker Kölsch-style w/golden kiwi fruit
Wellington Wine & Food Festival + Craft Beer - Friday & Saturday, Waitangi Park, Wellington. The Wellington Wine & Food Festival will return again on the 10th & 11th March 2017, back on the Wellington Waterfront
One Fat Panhead BBQ Takeover - Saturday, One Fat Bird, 162 Karori Rd, Karori, Auckland. Our second BBQ of the year and who better than Wellingtons very own Panhead Custom Ales! Straight off the back of Panhead Supercharger taking out NZ Best Beer for the third year running Mike and the team will be here at The Bird having a few beers and some Panhead infused BBQ! Chuck in some Live Music and hopefully some decent weather and we are in for a cracking day of great Beer, Banter and some good times!!
Kegkoura craft beer festival 2017 - Saturday, 140 Highway 1, Kaikoura. Come to Kaikoura and enjoy a relaxing afternoon at this fantastic venue with amazing views of the beautiful Kaikoura coastline. With an awesome selection of craft beers from around New Zealand, great food options and chilled music we hope this will be an event you will come back to year after year. Kaikoura is open for business, and we would love to see you here. There are plenty of accommodation options and other attractions open so why not make a weekend of it. Visit www.emporiumbrewing.co.nz/kegkoura-2017.html for more details.
Events next week
16 Tun & Sawmill - Locally Sourced - Wednesday 15 March, 16 Tun, 20 Jellicoe St, Auckland. Come down to 16TUN and get a chance to try 5 The Sawmill Brewery beers, including seasonal brews, paired with locally sourced cheese and smoked meats from the Matakana region.
Black Out at Volstead - Friday 17 March, Volstead, 55 Riccarton Rd, Christchurch. You don't have to be a genius to drink good beer. This Saint Patrick's day we have a massive line up of local Stouts, Dunkels, Blacks IPA's and Porters. Beers from 8 Wired, Epic. Moa, Cassels, Eagle, Raindogs, Renaissance, Two Thumb, Emerson's, Tuatara, Emporium, Volstead, Horse Box & Wigram.
Sourfest 2017 - 17-20 March, Malthouse, 48 Courtenay Place Wellington.
The Funky Weekend - 18-19 March, Funk Estate brewery, 3/402 Great North Rd. Grey Lynn, Auckland. We're having a couple of open days at the Funk Estate Brewery. Come along on both Saturday and Sunday to check out our space, and enjoy some sun(hopefully), beer and food. We'll even have a cheeky band kicking off in the early evenings. 1pm-late both days. See you at the Funky Weekend!
Beer Appreciation Day - 12.30 Saturday 18 March, Duart House, 51 Duart House, Havelock North, Hawke's Bay. Beer Appreciation Day is all about providing an opportunity to sample some great beers and ciders from some of New Zealand's (and the world's!) finest craft breweries. Tickets available here.
Nelson Beer Week - 18-26 March, various venues, Nelson and Tasman. Nelson Beer Week is a chance for you to explore beyond normal ‘beer experience boundaries’ and sample a wide range of craft beers and beer-matched cuisine not normally available.
- Epic Brewing - Hop Garden BBQ, Beers and Hop Tour - 12 noon 18 March, New Hoplands, Tapawera, 362 Tadmor Valley Rd, Tapawera 7096, New Zealand
- McCashins Brewery Kitchen & Bar – NBW Tastings and Food Specials - 12 noon, March 18, McCashins Brewery Kitchen and Bar, 660 Main Rd Stoke
- Eddyline Brewery: Walk the Eddyline – Brewery Tour - 1pm March 18, Eddyline Brewery & Pizzeria, 660 Main Rd, Stoke
- Craft Beer Depot – Beergasm: Special Beer Releases, Meet the Brewers and Jamaican Jerk BBQ - 3pm March 18, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- Harrys Bar/Cassels & Sons Tap Takeover - 4pm March 18, Harrys Bar, 296 Trafalgar St, Nelson
- The Vic Brew Bar: Blind Craft Beer Taste Competition - 5pm March 18, The Vic Brew Bar, 281 Trafalgar St, Nelson
- Liquid Bar – Special Menu and Beer Cocktails- 7pm March 18, Liquid Bar, 75 Bridge St, Nelson
- Eddyline Brewery – Beer Talks and Tastings - 2pm March 19, Eddyline Brewery, 8 Champion Rd, Richmond
- Founders Brewery Family Fun Day - 4.30 March 19, Founders Brewery, 87 Atawhai Dr, The Wood, Nelson
- Kereru Brewing/CBD: Cook Up and Meet Kereru Brewer - 5pm March 20, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- McCashins Brewery – Brewery Tour - 11am March 21, McCashins Brewery, 660 Main Rd, Stoke
- NZ Hops Tour - March 21, NZ Hops, 8 Blackbyre Rd, Best Island, Appleby
- Sprig & Fern Brewery Tour and Tastings - 11.30 March 21, Sprig and Fern Brewery, 53 Beach Rd, Richmond
- Craft Beer Depot: Craft Beer & Whiskey Match Tastings - March 21, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- Beer without Borders/CBD: Modern x Hops – Nelson to San Diego - 5pm March 22, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- McCashins Brewery Kitchen & Bar – Meat Lovers Heaven - 5pm March 22, McCashins Brewery Kitchen & Bar, 660 Main Rd, Stoke
- Freshchoice Richmond & Yeastie Boys: Tastings and Food Matching @ Oxford Street Kitchen - 7 pm March 22, Oxford Street Kitchen and Roastery, 20 Oxford St, Richmond
- Pecha Kucha – Nelson Beer Week Edition - 7.30 March 22, The Brewhouse/Boathouse, 326 Wakefield Quay, Nelson
- Freshchoice Richmond: American beer tastings in store - 4pm March 23, Freshchoice Richmond, 216 Queen St, Richmond
- The Free House: Meet the Brewer Townshend Brewing - 6pm March 23, The Free House, 95 Collingwood St, Nelson
- Craft Beer Depot: Churly Charcuterie - 7pm March 23, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- Freshchoice Richmond: Harringtons tastings in store - 3pm March 24, Freshchoice Richmond, 216 Queen St, Richmond
- Craft Beer Depot: Moa Vs Parrot Dog & Meet The Brewers - 4pm March 24, Craft Beer Depot, 70 Achilles Ave, Nelson
- Nelson Beer Week Block Party – Cod and Lobster, Urban Eatery, Garage Project, Golden Bear - 4pm March 24, 1903 Square Nelson, Trafalgar St, Nelson
New Zealand Homebrewers Conference - 24-26 March, Founders Park, Nelson
MarchFest Nelson - Saturday 25 March, Founders Park, Nelson
Mountain Ales 2017 - Saturday 1 April, New Plymouth Sports Fishing Club, Ocean View Parade New Plymouth. The third installment of Mountain Ales brings you 10 breweries (almost all new to the festival) and more than 20 beers plus the usual great catering. Get in quick - this event sells out.
Hop'n'Vine Craft Beer Festival - Saturday 1 April, Old Southland Times Building, 67 Esk St, Invercargill. Some of New Zealand’s top craft breweries will be at Hop’n’Vine including Tuatara, Garage Project, EPIC, Liberty, Behemoth, 8 Wired, South Paw, Ground Up and, of course, Invercargill Brewery. Several other guest breweries, Central Otago wines and Zeffer Cider will also feature. Includes a home brew competition and a guest DJ from Auckland.
Craft Beer Fair - Saturday 1 April, Plimmerton School, Porirua. Due to popular demand and unprecedented success Plimmerton School are hosting another Craft Beer Fair!! 11 breweries and a homebrewing competition.
Fresh Hop NZ 2017 - Saturday 22 April, various venues, Auckland
GABS Auckland - 16-17 June, ASB Showgrounds, Auckland
Smiths NZIPA Competition - 22-24 June, Smiths Craft Beer House, Queenstown
A Mid-Winter's Ale Festival - Saturday 1 July, Rolleston Community Centre, Christchurch. Showcasing some exciting craft beers and delicious ciders from breweries around Canterbury and the North Island as well as a handpicked selections of beers from overseas. We also have an exciting line up of live entertainment throughout the afternoon plus some awesome food options to match with the amazing line up of beers and ciders. Ticket sales will be available from the 1st of March...
Beervana 2017 - 11-12 August, Westpac Stadium, Wellington
Brewers Guild Conference & Trade Show - Friday 6 October, Christchurch
Brewers Guild Gala Dinner (aka BGONZA Night) - Saturday 7 October, Christchurch
General Manager, Harrington's Brewery, Christchurch
As part of their growth strategy the Board of Directors are seeking a General Manager to lead this organisation and to take overall responsibility for the operational performance and success of Harrington’s Breweries. You will drive senior level decision making and will contribute to the strategic planning and direction of the business. Skills & experience required include:
- Leadership experience at general management level
- Reporting to a company board and/or family business exposure
- Proven ability to drive and execute a strategic plan and deliver results
- Solid business acumen ideally within the exporting/manufacturing sector
Handyman, Hallertau Brewery, Riverhead, Auckland
Tasting Room Assistant (Casual), Wanaka Beerworks, Wanaka
Head Brewer, Tuatara, Kapiti